Sunday, August 25, 2013

August 2013

August came and went so fast.  I think it was because I knew I had to go back to work on the 20th so I was trying to cram everything in.  I always know after work starts I don't have time for anything else besides work and church.

I was able to can some salsa and freeze some berries.  That was about all I got from the garden this year.  I always use the herbs which I love and we got some cucumbers too.  I wish I would have gotten a lot more tomatoes though.  My zucchini didn't even grow.  I usually spend more time in the garden and usually put a lot more Miracle Grow on it.  I think that is why it didn't grow as well.  Now I am begging people who have extra to let me have some so I can do more salsa and chili sauce.  Last year I had so much, I made soup.  Oh, my beans did a lot better this year then they have ever done in the past.  I have a bunch of Kale too.

The one thing I feel really good about is my mother's ancestor scrap book.  I finally finished it.  Actually, I'm not completely done because I have to add some name plates to some of the last pictures I put in.  I am really very pleased at how it turned out.

I feel like I did a lot of work as the Relief Society President.  My goal is to bring the sisters together and love each other.  I know the only way is to have every sister do their visiting teaching.  I have had some say they just won't do it and others say they want to but they don't have time.  Still others have good intentions but they don't follow through.  I guess it has been a problem for Presidents for a very long time and it will be a problem for many more but I would love our ward to be different.  I want to strive for a hundred percent visits.  I know it would strengthen the members we have but would bring in sisters who are less active too.  I do feel our ward is getting better and the love is growing.  Service is so much easier when you love the person you are serving.

I was concerned about whether they would let me work in the library again.  The school district is in such a financial mess with its 5 million dollar deficit that you never know where they are going to make cuts.  I do really like my job.  I do wish I made more but I will take what I can get.  It is only paying for our house payment now because we have been cut so many days of work.  I still work with a wonderful lady.  She is very artistic and is always thinking about how to improve the Library and she creates great incentives for the students reading program.  This year we are Trekkies and "Going where no man has gone before."  We'll explore new worlds through books and the students will start out as cadets and rise through the ranks until they achieve the status of Commodore.  It really is a lot of work because we keep track of every page the students read and log them.  They advance another rank for every three hundred pages read.  The 10 top readers get really nice prizes and the top class receives a pizza party with games and fun.



No comments: