Monday, June 21, 2010

Yesterday was Father's day and there was a cloud burst! The kids couldn't help but go outside and play in it. Yes, in some situations, Steph is STILL a kid! She was probably the instigator.

I also wanted to make a note of how blest I think our home has been. Roger has been the best example to our family of how to be the best Dad. I direct the music in Primary now and I brought my "secret box". The first item was a hammer. I told the children that when I married Roger, he didn't know how to work on a car or fix anything in the house. He learned how to rebuild an engine, replace brake pads, install new ignitions and alternators, and just about everything there was to do to keep our cars running. He has knocked out walls, tape and textured, learn how to install new lights, and can fix anything there is to fix in our home. He layed the laminent flooring and has replaced toilets, water heaters and has done all kinds of plumbing projects.

The next item they pulled out was a BYU cap. I told the kids that Roger wanted to go to the games but didn't take off alone like most Dads. He would take all the kids with him! It would give me a break but the kids loved it too.


There was a piece of charcoal that one of the kids thought was a brownie! I told them what it was and said that it represented the work that Roger does around the house. I have never picked up a dirty sock or any of his cloths. Not only do I not have to pick up after him but I also don't have to wash his cloths or even mine because he does that too. He has done the majority of the dishes for the last couple of years and he even takes all the garbage out. This is just a few of the things he does to help out in the home.

The last thing in the box was a tie. I told the kids that for most of my life I didn't have a dad that held the priesthood. I am so greatful that Roger honors his priesthood and was able to take me to the temple when we were married. I am so greatful for his testimony and his strength in the gospel. (I was going to add a picture of him but they didn't turn out)



5 comments:

The Gatherers said...

It's amazing how much Craig is like his Dad. He is always willing to help with house work, and has even been confidant enough to replace a few things on the car, and has given many priesthood blessings! What a great example he has for a father, I am so grateful for that.

Stephanie said...

I like the picture! And yes, it was my idea. :O)

Lynne said...

Great post on dad!

Jennilynn and Jeff said...

I love how dad has been such a good example to Jeff. It wasn't just his or your life he affected, it has multiplied and I hope it continues. Love you both!

Penradicals said...

Song leader again? I'm sure you are excellent at that! Remember I always loved you in that calling when I was a kid. Sound like you have great ideas!